A pickled mushroom recipe for the perfect garnish
2 1/2 pounds mushrooms
1 3/4 cups white wine vinegar
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1 red chile, split and deseeded if desired
1 sprig thyme
1 bay leaf
- Wash and dry the mushrooms, then place them in a pan with a snug-fitting lid.
- Put the vinegar, sugar, salt, crushed garlic, and chile in a pan over medium heat, bring to a boil, and allow to simmer for 2 minutes, then add the thyme and bay leaf.
- Pour the mixture over the mushrooms, put the lid on the pan immediately, and set aside to cool.
- Divide the mushrooms and preserving liquid between clean, sterilized jars and seal.
- Label the jars with the date so you can keep track of different batches. Leave to cool and refrigerate. If you can bear to, leave them a week or two before opening. They will keep for up to 6 months in the fridge.
Level of Difficulty: